Saturday, May 19, 2012

Shelf Hanging Trick


  So today I have a lot of to do's on the list. Busy busy day, but I thought I would share this helpful shelf hanging trick with you.While going through the ol' chicken coop, I decided that one of the old roost shelves would make a pretty neat shelf to display some of our old mason jars. I love the rustic look of old wood. Anyways, since it was gonna be heavy (30 lbs ish) I decided to find an easier way to hang it. I know this is not a craft, but it is a Krafty way to hang a shelf. So here goes...
      If you are hanging a shelf that is heavy, or if you don't have 6 hands..lol, it is almost always better to hang the brackets first. That way you don't get stuck holding the weight of the shelf while you decide if it's level.  Hanging the brackets without the shelf can be pretty easy if you have a few handy  items to help you out.

    1st- decide where and how high you want your shelf to be.

    2nd- Secure one of your shelf brackets to the wall at the height you wish it to be.

    3rd- Take a small level and secure it to something long using scotch tape. Now this is where it gets tricky. I happen to have a small level that has a magnet on the bottom of it. So, by using something metal I can just stick it on without tape. ( I'm using one of those cheap adjustable curtain rods.) Whatever you decide to use, it is a really good idea to secure your level. This way the level doesn't fall off and break.


                                (Yes I realize that my brackets don't match..lol Just used what
                                 I had. I plan on covering them, so it won't be noticed later)


    4th- Lay your new "longer level" on the secured shelf bracket hold it across to where you think the second shelf bracket should be. Take the second bracket and hold against the wall while letting your "longer level" rest on it. When the level shows your second bracket is level, mark one of the screw holes with a pencil.

    5th- Secure the second shelf bracket to the wall.

    6th- Remove the level and place your shelf onto the brackets.
                                 
    7th- Secure the bottom of your shelf to the top of the brackets.
       
                                                    And you're done! Yay!


Side Notes: If the shelf your are trying to hang is too heavy for you to lift by yourself. Don't! Make sure to have someone help you. It is not worth getting hurt over!

    So there you go...an easier way to hang a shelf. Hoped this helps you in the future.

Have a great day!! :D
-Winney

No comments:

Post a Comment